The Houses of Parliament were built after the original building was destroyed in a fire in 1834, on the basis of a project by Charles Barry and Augustus Pugin.
Big Ben, which rises on the west side of the building, probably owes its nickname to the member of parliament that installed it in 1854. It is the most accurate clock in the world, as well as being one of London's symbols.
The view from the London Eye is also very suggestive, the eye being the highest wheel for scenic views in the world, located on the other side of the Thames.
From the opposite bank of the river it is also possible to admire another splendid view of the Houses of Parliament.